• Willkommen im Coasterfriends Forum!

2013 Neuheit: GateKeeper (Wing Coaster) @ Cedar Point

Mario M.

CF Team News
Teammitglied
CLUBMEMBER
Es wurden wohl die ersten Markierungen gesichtet!

points-2.jpg

Quelle

Mario M.

CF Team News
Teammitglied
CLUBMEMBER
Es ist raus... 2013 bekommt der Park einen B&M Wing Coaster, dieser wird wohl neue Rekorde unter den Wing Coastern aufstellen (höchster und schnellster Wing Coaster der Welt!) Die Bahn soll teurer als Wild Eagle werden und über den Köpfen der Besucher hinweg teilweise über den Parkplatz und über den Eingang fahren. Weichen muss für die Bahn unteranderem der Ride "Desaster Transport"!

Da bin ich ja mal sehr gespannt wie das Layout sein wird!

Hier mal ein Text mit näheren Infos:

BLOG: Cedar Point's wing coaster answers this enthusiast's prayer

The rumor mill is throwing roller coaster enthusiasts for a loop today.
And this particular loop is a doozy: Cedar Point is planning to remove Disaster Transport and Space Spiral to make room for a wing coaster that extends to the front of the park and above the main entrance, according to a Feb. 15 memo from new Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet to the board of directors.
A wing coaster, as shown in the artist rendering above, is one on which pairs of riders sit on either side of the track, with nothing above or below them except air.
The only coasters at Cedar Point that I haven’t ridden this year are Mean Streak, because it’s kind of hard on my aging back, and Disaster Transport, because, well, it kind of sucks.
Someone at Cedar Point with much more influence than I have might think the same thing.
At the Erie County Chamber of Commerce Breakfast of Champions on April 24, Ouimet mentioned publicly that the company wasn’t thrilled with Disaster Transport, which gives more credence to this development.
“We believe strongly in the future of Cedar Point,” Ouimet said at the breakfast. “Our board of directors, at John’s (Hildebrandt) encouragement, have committed more than $25 million to Cedar Point for next season. I will leave it at that, for all to speculate what that is.”
And speculate the enthusiasts have done.
I've suspected for a while that Cedar Point's 2013 attraction would be a coaster. The loss of one roller coaster, WildCat, and Ouimet divulging the $25 million investment number all but clinched it for me. It was just a matter of waiting to see what type of coaster it would be.

Obviously, it would be something relatively different than what the park already has, and a flying coaster, Firehawk, being only 200 miles away at Cedar Fair-owned Kings Island seemed to preclude Cedar Point from doing a flyer. So I assumed it would be a dive coaster.

I've never ridden a true wing coaster, but I have been on Griffon, a dive coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Riding on the outside of its 10-seat-wide train gives an experience similar to a wing coaster, because you hang over air, not the track. Needless to say, it's an interesting experience.
Also fueling the speculation is a development at another Cedar Fair property, Canada’s Wonderland. That park’s new coaster for 2012, Leviathan, features elements that are located in and above the guest parking lot and around the main entrance of the park, just like Cedar Point’s new coaster is expected to do.
In addition, you know Cedar Point wants to be able to at least argue its case as being the “Roller Coaster Capital of the World."

The first-ever entry to this blog was about the park’s last-minute removal of WildCat and the fact I thought it was a good long-term move. At the same time, losing one coaster also lost the park the claim of having the most roller coasters in the world, a title held by Six Flags Magic Mountain.
If this new development comes to fruition, Cedar Point still won’t be able to lay claim to the title of most coasters. (Gain one, lose one, leaving 16.)
But I, for one, will take quality over quantity, substance over marketing, any day.
If Cedar Point adds a coaster type it doesn’t already have, I’ll still easily consider the park the “Roller Coaster Capital of the World." And with its high-quality and versatile lineup, it would be difficult to argue against it.

There are only four wing coasters in operation in the world: Raptor at Gardaland in Italy, The Swarm at Thorpe Park in the United Kingdom, Wild Eagle at Dollywood in Tennessee and X-Flight at Six Flags Great America in Illinois. The first in the world, Raptor, opened only a year ago.
Incidentally, the cost of the two wing coasters at U.S. parks are reported to be $20 million for Wild Eagle and $15 million for X-Flight, which seems to be in line with the $25 million Ouimet mentioned. (Assuming, as usual, Cedar Point wants the tallest, fastest and longest coaster of its type in the world, which would increase the ride's cost, in addition to the cost of removing the two rides.)
All four wing coasters in existence are manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, which designed and built Cedar Point’s Raptor and Mantis, as well as Diamondback at Kings Island. While I know a lot of people bemoan Mantis, I’m glad to see another B&M coaster coming, especially considering what seems to be excessive downtime on the Intamin coasters. (But Millennium Force is still my favorite.)
Some people wanted to see a 500-foot coaster, but I just don't see the point with Top Thrill Dragster already standing at 420 feet. Go skydiving if you want a towering drop from the sky, because that'd basically be all you'd get from such a coaster.
A new type of coaster will be good for the park in terms of its ability to draw guests, and sacrificing a couple of aging and underperforming rides for something fresh while adding some impact to that area of the park will be a good thing. (I spend a huge percentage of time in the back half of the park, roaming toward the front usually only when I want to ride Raptor or Wicked Twister or when I'm heading to my car.)
The elimination of Disaster Transport’s building also will allow for more and better views of the lake, which is an asset most parks simply don’t have.
Whatever the coaster ends up being and wherever it ends up going, it’s going to leave bigger footprints than the T. rex or Ruyangosaurus giganteus from Dinosaurs Alive! ever could.

Quelle

HoNg

CF Guru
Wirklich schade um Disaster Transport. Hätten die lieber Mean Streak abgebaut. Aber trotzdem interessant was für ein Layout es geben wird.

americancoasterfan

Fastpass Besitzer
Mein Gott quillt dieser Coastertyp aus allen Löchern.
Freut mich für den Park, denn mit den angekündigten Rekorde wird es wohl mehr als eine Bereicherung für den Park.
Da bin ich auf das Layout gespannt.

lightmaster

Fastpass Besitzer
Ups, das die grüne nach China soll hätte ich mal vor dem Verlinken nochmal lesen sollen. :D
Aber wenigstens wissen wir jetzt was aus den Hallen rauskommt, wenn der grüne Coaster vom Lagerplatz verschwunden ist.

Mario M.

CF Team News
Teammitglied
CLUBMEMBER
Hier sieht man mal wo das ganze entstehen wird:

CedarPoint2013Map.jpg

Der grüne Wing Coaster kann es aber auch werden, denn wenn man die Ettiketten vergleicht, dann sieht man das es 2 verschiedene Auftragsnummern sind, somit erwarten uns wohl 2 grüne Wing Coaster nächstes Jahr!

Quelle

GreatJulianPoint

Stammgast
Schön das sich in Cedar Point was tut. Wahrscheinlich wollen sie erstmal ausmisten, den Titel hohlen sie sich mit 5 Kiddie Coaster :D

Ne scheint so also würde ihnen nicht sooo viel daran liegen.

Und grün denke ich wird es in Cedar Point nicht, da gleich gegenüber der grüne Raptor steht.

Mario M.

CF Team News
Teammitglied
CLUBMEMBER
Im Park wurden neue Markierungen für den Wing Coaster gesichtet (ziemlich unspektakuläre Bilder)...

Wer sie trotzdem sehen will schaut --->Hier<---

JohannesK

CF Guru
CLUBMEMBER
Und hier noch ein paar Bilder.

CP4.jpg
CP3.jpg
CP2.jpg
CP.jpg

Wing Coaster - Semi-Confirmed - (5/31/12) The Sandusky Register posted a very interesting news item earlier today, claiming to have seen an internal memo from Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet dated Feb. 15th regarding the 2013 attraction coming to Cedar Point, codenamed, “CP Alt.Winged”. According to comments in the memo, the new coaster is believed to be the rumored B&M Wing Coaster we’ve been talking about, and is said to feature the “longest drop, run, the fastest and be the longest ride” of its kind.
The Wing Coaster will showcase the entire front gate area, with the project cost set at $25 million, which will include the removal of two old park attractions: the Space Spiral tower and the Disaster Transport coaster. This matches up with the latest rumors about the desmise of Disaster Transport as well as the survey markings spotted in the same area. The new coaster will feature a 170 foot lift hill and will fly over the guests as they enter the park.
(5/17/12) Let the rumor mill start to swirl, because a reader has sent in a few photos showing off fresh survey markings on the ground just outside Disaster Transport. Previously I had heard that Ouimet wanted to look into a way to really improve the ride in the near future. However, when our reader asked some of the staff about the future of the ride and pointed out the survey markings, the employees mentioned that all they’ve been told was to ride and enjoy Disaster Transport as much as they can this season. This certainly does make it sound like the clock is ticking on this attraction.
(3/30/12) Rumors for Cedar Point often have to be taken with the proverbial “grain of salt”, and this one would fall into that category, so don’t hold me to it. According to message I received today, there is also talk around The Point about adding a second project for 2013. If the rumor has any truth to it, we could see Cedar Point adding a small kiddie coaster in the same season as their next big coaster in order to jump up to the all time high of 19 coasters at once in the park. Another side of this move is that Six Flags Magic Mountain is currently tied with CP with 17 coasters and has made it clear they will open their 18th coaster in 2013 as well, so adding two in the same year to The Point would be the sure way to 1UP The Mountain.
As for the location… our source has heard some rumbling about adding to the Frontier section of the park, but with two possible coasters in the works, it’s hard to say which project is intended for exactly which location just yet.
(3/29/12) Despite what I may have heard earlier, the latest buzz going around is that Cedar Point’s 2013 coaster may very well be a new B&M Wing Coaster. It makes me wonder if those new green coaster track pieces spotted at the plant may be for The Point’s new project. As for the location, the new coaster is rumored to be located in the area between Ocean Motion and Disaster Transport, possibly in that employee parking lot and may also run along the shoreline at one point. The green color does make me wonder if this is for CP or not, as the dark green color used is close to being the same color as Raptor’s rails. Then again, when you’ve got 17 coasters, it may be hard to find a unique color for your 18th coaster.
(12/29/11) Another Screamscape source has confirmed hearing that a new B&M coaster is supposed to be in the works for The Point in 2013. So will it be something standard like a Floorless or a Dive Machine, one of the new Wing coasters or perhaps something we’ve never seen before?
(7/7/11) While it’s still a bit far out to say anything for sure, we’ve heard from a new source that the rumored 2013 coaster project for The Point will see B&M come back to the park at last with a new project. It’s hard to say exactly what it may be, so I suspect it could be one of the new Wing Coasters, though a Floorless with a ton of inversions or even a Dive Machine would also be a good fit. A location near the front of the park on the Disaster Transport / Space Spiral side was also mentioned.
(7/5/11) If your hoping for a new coaster at Cedar Point in 2012, I’m told you will probably have to wait for 2013. No word on just what it will be, but usually Cedar Point doesn’t disappoint, so it should be good.

Quelle

Lg Johannes

JulianLoop

CF Guru
Tja dann hat Six Flags Magic Mountain mit dem Launch-Coaster nächstes Jahr wieder 18 Bahnen(nachdem Deja Vu ja letztes Jahr wegmusste). Und Cedar Point "nur" noch 17 Bahnen(nachdem Wildcat gehen musste). Will er etwa nicht mehr die Nummer 1 sein?

Oben